Friday 27 July 2007

Coffee and Donuts

A year or two ago I heard a radio interview with the manager of a Dublin cinema. (It was the Savoy which I am ashamed to say I have yet to visit.) Part of the discussion revealed that cinemas make as much money on the popcorn, drinks, sweets, etc that is bought at the snack bars than they do on movie tickets. I'm sure this won't surprise you when you think about how much you pay for a Coke. What did surprise me though was the manager's open confession that you are allowed to bring your own food and drinks into the cinema. For years I had assumed that this wasn't allowed and had to resort to stuffing bags of malteasers in my pockets in the hopes of sneaking them in. Not now. Things have changed and I openly flaunt my previously made purchases as I hand my ticket to the door person.

Anyway, all this to say that before going to a movie last night I bought and cup of coffee and a couple of Tim Hortons donuts (now available in Tesco Ireland - yum!) and proudly took my seat to consume them. The film? The Simpsons Movie, of course.

It was okay. Not as many laugh-out-loud moments as I would have hoped. I liked the fact that Homer asks at the beginning of the film why anyone would pay to watch something they can get for free on TV.


Here's a trailer.

Here's a review and a whole bunch of reviews in one place.



A lot has been written in recent years about the connection between The Simpsons and the Christian faith. I won't add to that, but for what its worth here's one view if your interested.

No comments: