Sunday 22 November 2009

Costa Coffee in Ireland???

Wandering around Dublin city centre on a cold, wet, windy Saturday morning is not really my idea of fun. Especially when accompanied with three under-5 children, one of whom had had a high temperature the night before. Still, a bit of fresh air and exercise never killed anyone. Probably.

However, my morning was brightened up when I noticed a Costa Coffee store on a busy corner of Dawson Street just up the road from my favourite toy shop - all 50 sq. meters of it (if that) packed form floor to ceiling with classy toys! So while the kids were peering in through the toy shop window I headed into Costa for some coffee and the low-down on their arrival in Dublin.

Costa Coffee have been brewing up a pretty decent cup in the UK for years, and as a chain store over there would have been the biggest rivals to Starbucks - with probably a couple of hundred more outlets than the mermaid. What I have always liked about Costa is their support of Fairtrade long before it started becoming trendy and certainly long before their biggest rival did. That and they do a nice selection of pastries.

I return from my recon trip with a vanilla latte for my wife and a regular latte for me, plus a chocolate mini yule log. (I can't believe I bought something so Christmasy already...but I guess we were in the process of helping out Santa).

"Get this," said I to herself. "Costa have been in Ireland for ages and I never knew it! And they have 27 cafés across the country!!"

"Let me stop you right there," says she, nipping in the bud any thoughts of an another pilgrimage....

8 comments:

Nicoley said...

Yeahh! When I was in Edinburgh I had breakfast there every morning. They did a really good breakfast tea and the best raspberry and white chocolate muffins ever. I found the Dawson St branch last month, but was slightly disappointed that they didn't have the same muffins :(

Either way, they're nicer than Starbucks & Insomnia in my opinion.

Cosmo said...

Nicoley, I feel a campaign coming on and an alternative voice of protest during strikes tomorrow:

Wha'-d'-we-want?
Raspbery and white chocolate muffins!
When-d'-we-wan'-'em?
As soon as possible! Or at least after those nice Christmas chocolate cakes have stopped being sold!!!

Snot Head (a.k.a Kylie) said...

ha! Sounds like a nice protest chant. I have never heard of Costa Coffee, so apparently I am missing out yet again. I have come to believe I live in the wrong part of the world. I am also wishing I could appease the little kid in me. Reading the description of the toy store has my inner child jumping around like crazy! Have you seen "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium"? I bet the whole family would like it if you haven't. Its a movie about a sort of magical toy store and its sort of magical owner. ;o)

Cosmo said...

I had forgotten about that film. I'm sure my kids would love that now.

The toy shop here is great. The antithesis of places like Toys R Us.

Phiasmir said...

Me and Nicoley went to costa coffee recently, it was way better than starbucks!

I ordered a hot chocolate and they gave me it to me in this fancy, long, curvy glass, on a chipped saucer. I barely even noticed, and the guy went like, "oh, I'm sorry, I'll get you a new saucer!" I said quietly to one of the attendants: "Hehe, classy service!" and he responded: "Ah yeah, you know it!"

I was well chuffed, talk about your first impressions! :D

Cosmo said...

Ahh, hot chocolate. The other bean. Glad you enjoyed it.

Unknown said...

nike air force
new england patriots jersey
hermes belt for sale
jordan shoes
michael kors outlet online
adidas tubular
yeezy boost
michael kors uk
michael kors factory outlet
http://www.kobebasketballshoes.us.com

raybanoutlet001 said...

texans jerseys
ralph lauren outlet
michael kors handbags
ralph lauren outlet
michael kors handbags sale
red valentino
nike store uk
coach outlet
cardinals jersey
ravens jerseys