Saturday 3 May 2008

What's that smell?

My much-overdue-pregnant-wife decided that she wanted a little peace and quiet this morning (the calm before the storm?) so she suggested I take our other two kids out for a couple of hours. I obliged and did what any responsible father might: I raided their money boxes and suggested we go and buy some toys. The kids obliged too.

There was one condition to the purchasing of toys though. Yes, a stop at a cafe in the shopping centre. I have to say that with a set of Matchbox cars and some Ponyville my little ones where perfectly content to let me enjoy my latte. The cafe had an open front to it so I could watch the world go by, but there was something wrong. Something next to the cafe that was spoiling my moment.

Beside the cafe was one of those coin operated rides for kids. This particular one was a Bear in the Big Blue House ride. Bear is a favourite in our home. If you know the TV show you'll remember that each of the episodes runs to a similar format. After the opening song Bear appears at the door to welcome the viewer. He then sniffs around and asks, 'What's that smell?' (I get a little freaked out when he guesses correctly - 'Have you just been outside?', 'Did you just have a bath?', 'Did you just have some donuts?')

Every few minutes the ride next to the cafe made a sniffing noise and Bear asks, 'What's that smell?' However, it wasn't the ride that was ruining my coffee. I couldn't help thinking to myself, 'I'll tell you what that smell is, Bear!' Because on the other side of the cafe was a butcher's shop and all I could smell was raw meat. Gross.

3 comments:

David said...

Cosmo, I am not familiar with the blue bear but I absolutely loved matchbox cars when I was a kid. I have just recently started a new collection. My younger sister left all of my cars out in the yard when she was a kid. I was a teenager and thought I had outgrown them. I was twenty five when I realized that I hadn't.

Thanks for the memory jog.

Cosmo said...

I have a box in the attic full of original Star Wars toys. If I'm honest I (not so secretly) can't wait until my son is old enough to play with them!

raybanoutlet001 said...

jacksonville jaguars jersey
coach handbags
abercrombie and fitch
adidas nmd
oakley sunglasses
fitflops
replica watches
cleveland cavaliers
ghd flat iron
cheap oakley sunglasses